Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Verbier, Switzerland

Today is very auspicious apparently as it is 09/09/09. It certainly proved to be a good day for me starting at City Airport where i was due to catch a flight to Geneva. In 3 minutes i had checked in, dropped my bag off AND made it through security checks. It really reminded me of traveling years ago when it was so much easier, before the world went crazy with red tape and procedures.

I easily caught the 14:27 to Martigny which left at precisely 14:27, hardly surprising because we are dealing with Swiss Rail.
As tired as i was, i stayed awake as we snaked our way up the French side of the Swiss Alps to Martigny where i was to be picked up by my friends husband to be, C.
The train goes through Montreux and Lausanne and past the beautiful Lake Geneve. At points we were so close, from where i was seated it looked like we were actually gliding atop the lake. The lake on my right and the mountains on my left there was so much to see, i kind of just withdraw from the world and daydream...i do love a train ride.
1hr 45mins later i was in a car heading up to Verbier. I had been here a couple of times in the winter to ski but never in the summer. It was strange to see it bare of snow but it was still as beautiful in lush green. Skiers & snowboarders have been replaced with mountain bikers, hikers and climbers so although much busier, the resort area is not completely dead.
The drive up, although only 20 minutes is quite hairy. I've just found out that i'll be driving people down for the ceremony on Friday as well as back up. Gulp!

My friends chalet is great, the views are magnificent with completely unobstructed views of the valley below and mountains straight ahead. It's stunning and i sit and take stock for half an hour on the deck.

7.00pm and G (the bride to be) and i were whisked off for her Hen Night. I knew it wouldn't be a cheesy, gaudy affair with crappy t-shirts and bunny ears but i was still surprised how lovely it was. Her swiss based friends had secured a friends chalet for the evening which is straight out of MTV Cribs. It was ridiculous. Perched high up in the mountains, decks, huge fireplaces and tv's in the walls at the end of the bath tubs. So, so nice. They hired private chefs to cook for us, with duck breasts, salmon tartare, rasperry and white chocolate cake, bottles of good wine and the Champagne flowing it was a great night. I was on my best behavior and made sure my friend didn't get too wasted, we have spa appointments in the morning! Yip! Yip!


Listening to: Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

Time Zone: EST -6



No comments: