Saturday, September 12, 2009

G & C got married yesterday in the beautiful little village of Le Chable. I've searched the internetz and there is very little on Le Chable no matter how you spell it. It was a civil ceremony, in a lovely old private house once lived in by a poet and now used as a registry office for weddings.

Earlier this week G had asked me to translate the ceremony as it was to be in French. I can tell you now that my French is passable should i need to find the swimming pool (piscine) or want a room with 2 beds and a bathroom (Je Voudrais un chambre avec deux lit & un salle de bain). So i was a little surprised. Luckily she has it all translated and all i had to do was recognise enough to know when i had to step in. I thought it an honor, she said it was just because i had a sexy voice and nothing to do with the fact we had known each other for over 20 years (eek!) i had hoped to ask S who is third in our friendship ring but she felt she hadn't yet dropped her mockney accent and was mortified at the thought of having to speak publicly.

What i did not know was that the size of the room was the size of my apartment and i was sitting practically on top of G & C in full view of the congregation. I had hoped that i would be at the back, behind a curtain somewhere. Alas no. The pressure was on me but i think i did a sterling job and unknowingly deceived everyone including G's family that i was fluent in French and did not have the translation in front of me. It would come to bite me on the arse later when JC, the local French speaking Snowboarding hero would try to chat me up.

Did i mention that G looked absolutely beautiful. She is a stunning girl and i think every girl looks especially beautiful on their wedding day, had she wore a white bin bag her smile would of made her radiant. Her dress though was very adult & classic, reminded me of a Ginger Rogers style dress, ivory, sleeveless, with slight jewel placement and long trains that flowed from her shoulders. C looked expecially dashing too.

The ceremony was fun, quick but not hurried and really very personal. After a few photo's, very few formal ones (yippee!) we all headed back up the mountain to Verbier for a much needed drink & dance.

The reception was back at the Hotel Nevai, 3 course dinner and lots & lots of Champagne. DJ Dave played some fantastic track and i managed to dance until 2am before i took my 5 inch heels off. Great meal, hilarious speeches, old friends and new friends made it a fantastic evening. I eventually got home at 9am after an after party but the less said about that the better. I managed to avoid JC, M & NA, i think mostly due to my high tolerance to champagen. I will say though that the scandal did not involve us singletons.

Today was a post wedding bbq of Ostrich & Chicken. Hangovers cured with Pimms & Bloody Mary's. People were avoided & sunglasses were stuck to most people's faces.

No comments: